Jun 28, 2018
For the penultimate episode of season 1, The ChickPeeps have a
discussion on how the ethical argument for veganism is the
core tenet of the vegan ideology. Erik Marcus, author, blogger and
activist, shares his studies on the reasons to be vegan and
explains some of the main ideas in animal rights philosophy. Also
on this episode...
- Erik suggest that the health benefits of following a vegan diet
is not the strongest argument to make in favour of veganism.
- ‘It’s probable that most of the suffering and cruelty tied to
the meat, dairy and egg industry arises from how the animals are
raised rather than how they are killed.’
- Erik talks about the history of factory farming and why the
conditions in which animals are raised has steadily worsened.
- ‘The chances of the hen who laid your egg having her life end
in a halfway decent, non violent way are essentially zero.’
- What is Speciesism?
- How to talk about speciesism in relation to other social
justice movements in a non provocative manner.
- Why Erik doesn’t like or use the term ‘carnist’.
- ‘If there’s one thing that we need to avoid at all costs it’s
ever coming off like we are judging or insulting the people we are
trying to win over.’
- The utilitarian argument for veganism.
- How to speak to non vegans about veganism with compassion and
- ‘All I can do is to be respectful, to find common ground and to
offer really solid, really accurate information that is in
alignment with a high integrity argument.’
Why Choose Vegan by
Introduction to Animal Rights and Animal Welfare by Erik
Follow Erik on Twitter
Momoko Hill: @oh_momoko
Robbie Jarvis: @robbjarvis
Tylor Starr: @tylorstarr
Evanna Lynch: @msevylynch